Wednesday

Mince Pies



~21st Century Mince Pies ~
These new generation mince pies were just what my family needed after many years of the classic shortcrust variety. Don't be fooled by their extravagant appeal, they are extremely simple to make. Due to their simplicity and style, they are the perfect addition to any Christmas meal.


Makes 12 Mince Pies
Ingredients
1 orange
10 hazelnuts
50g 70% chocolate
250g mincemeat
370g puff pastry
200g fillo pastry
100g melted butter
icing sugar

1)  Using a pestle & mortar, pound the hazelnuts into fine crumbs. And with a sharp knife chop the  chocolate finely.
2)  On a well floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 3mm rectangle. 
3)  Grate half an orange and using your finger tips move the zest around the dough, covering its entire surface. 4) Spoon over the mince meat all over the rectangular dough and sprinkle over the hazelnuts (leaving a hand full aside) and dark chocolate.
5)  Tightly roll the dough lengthways, until you have a long log.
6)  Cut 12 rolls and set them aside.
7)  Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ gas mark 4
8)  On a clear surface, overlap four corners of the fillo sheets, resulting in a a large rectangle. Thinly brush all over with melted butter. Repeat the process until you have 4 layers, that will be a total of 16 fillo pastry sheets. On the top layer, cover with melted butter.
9)  Using a 12 cup cupcake oven tray, place the buttered side of the fillo pasty layers over it and carefully press in the pastry into the moulds, covering the whole oven tray.
10)  Place the 12 puff mince rolls in each mould and sprinkle the rest of the grounded hazelnuts on top of each one. Brush over the remaining butter over the fillo pastry and sprinkle some icing sugar and place in the preheated oven for 25mins.
11)  Leave to cool completely and break each one apart. Give a final dusting of icing sugar...
12)  Enjoy...






~Luna~


 



25 comments:

Mina said...

OMG!! All your recipes are so wonderful :)and tempting!!

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a recipe that is!

HGourmet Foodie said...

These pics are absolutetly beautiful.. I love the presentation and the recipe!!!

Sandra said...

Luna, those pies look and sound so good! I wish to have one right now!:))

Belinda @zomppa said...

They look like flowers!!

BakingWithoutaBox said...

They look too pretty to eat. But I'd be willing to make the sacrifice with such good ingredients ;)

Evan @swEEts said...

I just pulled out my mincemeat to make little turnovers tonight but now I'm rethinking it!

Anna's Table said...

Luna, it such a beautiful take on a Christmas classic.

Sandra said...

New generation indeed. These are not our mother's mince pies.

Treat and Trick said...

Pies sounds so easy to prepare and looks great...

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Been looking for a long time a good recipe for mince! this is it terrific and looks awesome too!

Shirley said...

Thats simply beautiful!

Mrs Mulford said...

Love the photo on this one - like a shinning star (Still would like lots of custard with this - pls)

Shabs said...

wowoowow , it looks very tempting , very good presentation :)

Diethood.com said...

I'm gonna eat up that picture ;-)

Hester Casey (Alchemy Ireland) said...

How gorgeous are they! I love the addition of chocolate and orange zest and the pastry makes it a doddle to put these together. Definitely trying these out for my sister's fund raiser next week.

Indonesia Eats said...

I just bought a phyllo pastry package, but I don't have the puff pastry. Huhh I want to try this. Look yummy

Rosy said...

That is the most beautiful mince pie I've ever seen!! Great job.

Spice Sherpa said...

What a presentation! It's gorgeous. My husband's family has a longtime tradition of making green tomato mince. I'm a believer now!

Georgia said...

These look amazing - definitely need to add them to the X-mas baking list! Thanks :)
http://fabulousfoodandalittlefrolicking.blogspot.com/

Elisabeth said...

Luna-This is the most genius creation I have seen, made with puff pastry, to form the yummy goodness in the little parcel... inside a fillo-light- crunchy, fancy, and delectable lining.
Simply gorgeous!

Carolyn said...

Ah, mincemeat. I love it. Some people hate it. They would be silly people! YOur tarts are gorgeous.

Emily Z said...

I have never made anything with mincemeat, in fact I do not think I have ever had it to my knowledge! But I think I should though, when I see it like this especially, it looks delicious.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That is so clever! Wow! I love the chocolate and nut additions to the fruit too.

Dimah said...

Mmm! These look yummy and pretty!