Monday

Empanadas


Empanadas are highly regarded in Argentina and can be found on almost every menu. Whether served fried or oven baked, filled with meat, fish or cheese, empanadas have become a staple of Argentinean cuisine. While other countries have their own take on this meat filled patty, the Argentineans are one of the most passionate about them and even have takeaway and home delivery outlets solely for empanadas! The classic filling is the beef filled variety but I wanted to make my own version, combining the empanada casing and a ricotta and salami calzone filling. These empanadas are great to serve at a party or even as an Argentinean dinner.  

Makes 6 Beef & 6 Ricotta and Salami  Empanadas
Ingredients
~For the pastry~
450g plain flour
1tsp salt
1/2tsp black pepper
1tsp baking powder
60g cold lard
60g cold butter
200ml cold water
1 egg, for brushing pastry

~Traditional Beef filling~
250g sirloin steak, fat removed and finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced
2 eggs, hard boiled and shelled
1/2tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp paprika
1/2tsp chilli powder
10 small black olives, such as leccino, sliced
2tsp tomato paste
olive oil

~Ricotta & Salami filling~
250g ricotta
150g salami block, such as napoli salami, 1/2cm cubes
1 mozzarella ball, dried and finely chopped
50g pecorino cheese, finely grated
1tsp black pepper

1) In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, black pepper and baking powder and mix well.
2) Cube the lard and butter into 1cm cubes and combine them with the flour and incorporate by rubbing the fat and flour together, until they form into fine crumbs.
3) Add the chilled water, bit by bit, until it forms into a soft dough. Place in the fridge to rest for 1hr.
4) Meanwhile, in a large frying pan add 3tsp of olive oil and the finely chopped onion and garlic and fry for 2/3mins. Then add the finely chopped steak and cook until browned. Add the cumin, black olives, paprika, tomato paste and chilli powder and stir well. Season well with salt and black pepper. Chop the eggs and add to the pan, mix well and cook for a further 5mins, then leave to cool completely.
5) Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, add the ricotta, cubed salami, mozzarella and pecorino and mix very well. No need to add salt, as pecorino is salty, but add 1tsp of black pepper.
6) Preheat the oven to 200C/ 390F/ gas mark 6.
7) Half the pastry dough and on a well floured surface, roll it out into a thin sheet. Using a saucer, cut six circles. And repeat the same process for the other half of the pastry dough.
8) On one side of each circle fill with each filling. Brush the edges with egg and fold over and twist braid the edges to close. Or just crimp the edges.
9) Brush with egg and place in the preheated oven for 15mins or until golden.
10) Enjoy!

*Cook's Tip: You can make the empanadas and freeze to cook at a later date. Just egg wash before placing in the oven. Also if your in a hurry or not confident making your own pastry, you can use a ready made puff pastry.

28 comments:

adorasbox said...

This sounds so delicious. We have Filipino empanadas, too, but with a different filling. I think the cumin adds kick to it. Salami and ricotta sounds good ,too. Buzz!

Treat and Trick said...

Looks perfect and delicious, we too have somewhat similar to empanadas, it is called curry puff traditionally stuffed with potato and or chicken/sardine...

Elisabeth said...

Your Argentine empenadas are absolutely amazing. I learned how to make the traditional beef empenadas, from a friend from Argentina, but your other recipe is so yummy, as well
Beautiful empenadas!

Belinda @zomppa said...

They're gorgeous, and I love the salami in there!

bron said...

Brilliant! I am currently trawling and planning for xmas day feasting - I'm staying with friends and I'm cooking for the big day. Your empanadas will be perfect if I make them early and freeze. Cheers

briarrose said...

Looks like heaven. Beautiful job and I love the filling.

Monet said...

My husband and I adore empanadas. They are always popular when we serve them at dinner parties too! Your version looks stupendous. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope your week is full of joy!

Magic of Spice said...

Your empanadas look lovely :)

ann said...

Really nice recipe.I like the idea that you can make them ahead and freeze them.

Anonymous said...

They look really really good! I really enjoy empanadas.

Amy Bakes Everything said...

Yummy! I love the use of lard in the pastry! Old school!

Sprinkles of Parsley said...

I've always wanted to make empanadas... these look wonderful! So flavorful and easy enough to make! Thanks for the recipe :)

Sandra said...

Great combo of ingredients and they look so filling. Do you make a sweet empanada?

Luna's Recipes said...

Yes Sandra, there is a Argentinean sweet alternative called dulce de membrillo Empanada. Which is practically empanada with Quince Jelly inside. And they're most commonly fried and sprinked with icing sugar.. Hope i've help. Luna :)

Roxan said...

I love love love empanadas. When I was in argentina a few months ago I lived off of them! My husband and i would stop in the middle of the day for an empanada and wine break. It was awesome. Yours look just as amazing!

Sandra said...

They are so good! I love anything stuffed:)))

Anna said...

We have something similar in Brazil too. I love it, specially with minced meat filling. Your looks delicious.

Ms. Rice said...

OMG I was just thinking about making these! Great recipe:D

Mina said...

Looks so tasty!!! I've never been preparing Empanadas, but yours are so tempting :)that I should give it a try!!! And I think I like the idea about Dulce de membrillo Empanada also... :) You are an inspiration!!!

Tes said...

Luna,
Your empanadas look so comforting and flavourful. It sounds like a great family snack recipe :) We will enjoy this!

Claudia said...

These savory empanadas are sure to be a hit in my home. Love the cheese-meat mixture and could happily down all of them and call it dinner.

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines said...

Empandas are so yummy, I've never had them filled like these, I do love salami. Will have to put these on the must try list!
-Gina-

Anna's Table said...

I've never tried making homemade empanadas. I'm now tempted from seeing your recipe. If made smaller, they would probably be a great make ahead appetizer. Thanks for solving my dilemma as I was asked to bring appetizers to a supper we're invited to.

Potato Chops and Boneless Chicken said...

I love empanadas. Yours look amazing. The filling sounds absolutely delicious.

Thomas Andrew said...

I love empanadas but I have never tried making them. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Dimah said...

Absolutely yummy and nice!

MJ said...

Empanadas....ok, i have to admit i am hearing that name for the first time...wat arouses my curiosity is there is an exactly same looking dish in indian malabar cusine that has a meat and spices filling... I make those quite often n seeing these, now I wonder is there a historical connection?? =)

the Junkie book said...

these are absolutely delicious. i love the name empanadas. as mj says we have a variant of it in malabar cuisine and we can never get tired of it. beautiful and wholesome luna!